“Institutional Strengthening for Sustainable Development in the Americas”
WORKING GROUP – INDIGENOUS PEOPLES
The Section of Relations with Civil Society of the Secretariat for Access to Rights and Equity and the Department of Summits Follow-up welcome you to the Working Group on Indigenous Peoples of the Virtual Hemispheric Forum with Civil Society and Social Actors in preparation for the 46th regular session of the OAS General Assembly which will take place on June 13 - 15, 2016 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE?
- Encourage a negotiation process of the Draft Declaration of Santo Domingo that takes into account the perspective of Indigenous Peoples and other social actors;
- Facilitate the dialogue and exchange of experiences between a larger and more representative group of civil society organizations, social actors and workers in the hemisphere who work on the topic of Indigenous Peoples;
- Draft a document of recommendations from the perspective of Indigenous Peoples on the Draft Declaration of Santo Domingo to be submitted to the consideration of Member States in the CISC;
- Formulate questions that will be directed to the Secretary General of the OAS in the Dialogue that will be held in Santo Domingo.
This Working Group will be moderated by Roberto Rojas, of the Secretariat for Access to Rights and Equity who will guide the discussion, respond to comments and provide support for the formulation of recommendations.
Recognition and respect for diversity: The participation of civil society entails the recognition of the legitimacy of diverse perspectives and interest regarding the subject that is being addressed.
Transparency and access to information: The objectives, scope, process and results of this Forum will be of public knowledge.
Additionally, the right to Freedom of Expression will be guaranteed: participants will have the right to express their positions and proposals freely, in a manner that is cordial, tolerant and respectful to other points of view.
- Participants will have the opportunity to discuss, exchange experiences and issue recommendations on the Draft Declaration of the General Assembly.
- Civil Society Organizations and social actors participating in this Forum should select one (1) working group that corresponds to the area your organization works on.
- The moderator will:
- Direct and stimulate the discussions between participants.
- Answer any question presented in the space.
- Support the drafting of the document of recommendations.
- Collect the questions that the participants want to ask the Secretary General at the Conversation.
- The moderator will ensure that:
- The recommendations on the Draft Declaration are constructive, to the point, and in relation to the contents of the Draft Declaration of the General Assembly.
- The diversity of postures and opinions is faithfully reflected in the document.
- The methodology for the formulation of recommendations will also seek to ensure that:
- All postures will be treated in the same manner.
- As such, mechanism of consensus or vote that seek to favor some postures and silence others will not be used.
- Positions expressed in the document will not be qualified as majority or minority positions.